Tuesday, June 9, 2009

First DC Visitors

My parents came to visit this past week. We had a good time exploring DC and playing with Jack. The first thing we did was head up to the Smithsonian's American History Museum, the monuments, and the front of the White House. There were some real treasures at the American History Museum. My favorite was the American Flag that was flying when the british bombed Fort McHenry and Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner. They also had a really nice First Lady's Inaugural Gown exhibit, Lincoln's top hat, and Dave's favorite, the portrait Steven Colbert used to have in his show the Colbert Report.
We took my parents to the Officier's Club on Sunday for brunch and finally decided to become members. It is a pretty amazing club with a beautiful swimming pool, lap pool, and kiddy pool. I have already gone over a few times to swim laps while my parents watched Jack.
My Dad introduced Jack to a few things this week. After drinking his morning coffee, my Dad would give Jack the cup to play. Jack found some good entertainment there. My Dad also said that apple sauce was my favorite as a baby. I got some apple sauce and let my dad feed it to Jack. Wow. It was like crack for this baby. I think we found his new favorite food.

Dave and I got all dressed up and had a wonderful date night


This is the front of Mount Vernon (George Washington's House) and there is a spectucular view of the Potomac river from the back of the house. The grounds also have beautiful gardens, dirt paths, a dock with boat tours, and Washington's tomb.

5 comments:

The Fortenberrys said...

Looks like lots of fun and I'm so glad you got a date night.

Danielle said...

Great post, Amy! Jack is getting so big. You all look so happy, and I just love that. Any summer Cali visits planned?

Kristen said...

Wow, Amy. It's nice when family can come to visit. It's also wonderful you were able to have a date night!

THE BENEDICT'S said...

I think i'm in love with D.C.!! Can't wait to see it up close and personal =). I better start reading my history books now, i need a refresher!! We thought about y'all yesterday with the crazy shootings over there, wish people were more sane.

The Carters said...

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures. There is so much to do around here. I have not even seen some of the things you have seen:) Tell your parents I said hello. They are so sweet and I will never forget my trip to LA with y'all!

About Me

My photo
We are a military family. We like to run, play games, travel, eat pizza, and watch movies.