Wednesday, May 27, 2009

East Coast Exploring

We did some East Coast exploring over the Memorial Day weekend. The first part of our tour was to check out Baltimore's Inner Harbor. We walked around the Inner Harbor and over to an area called Fell's Point. After that we headed up to Philadelphia. I didn't realize how much there is to do there. We saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence was signed, Betsy Ross's house, Ben Franklin's house (the site) and grave, the upenn campus and track (home of the penn relays), and my personal favorite the art museum where Rocky ran up the steps (pictured above is the view from the top) and home of the Rocky Statue. Dave did a run to the top of the steps but he said it wasn't hard .... We also ate at two Philly cheese steak places Jim's and Geno's.
The last leg of our adventure was to the Antietam battle field and Harper’s Ferry. Dave's brother Jay was an excellent tour guide/historian. I learned a lot and he really made it come alive for me. It's interesting to note that the Generals who participated in this battle have army posts named after them - Jackson, Hood, Meade, Lee, and I'm probably forgetting one. McClellan (the union leader) got the shaft. Harper’s Ferry was gorgeous, I think that I would like to go back and bike there. We had a wonderful time seeing all the sites in this neck of the woods :)


My boys at the Inner Habor

Showing Jack the Rocky statue. I love that movie :)

Here we are at Geno's to get our philly cheesesteaks. This place does cheese whiz which I did not think I would like, but it was really really good!!

This is bloody lane. I believe I was told that there were more casualty's here then in all of D-Day. Appreantly when they do soil testing they can still find traces of blood.

5 comments:

THE BENEDICT'S said...

The East Coast looks awesome! We seriously need to switch places for our next assignment =)! Do y'all like your new camera? We bought the EOS Rebel XS (think that's the name) w/ the extra zoom lens (300mm lens). Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but i'm excitied to try! Oh and you've inspiried me to watch Rocky, I've never seen it!

The Carters said...

Sooo excited for ya'll. It looked like a great time. Wasn't the Harbor fun!? I look forward to hearing more. Geno's is the best! I have not been there in forever.

Bill said...

Looks like fun was had by all. I love the Rocky movies as well, have each and every one of them.

Would love to come see you guys soon and get some of that delicious Philly food too!

See you soon.

Ryan said...

BALBOA!!!

Good pics. I had a conference at the inner harbor. The aquarium there is fantastic.

Civil war was gory.

Bill said...

I forgot to say this yesterday, but the picture with the Rocky statue looks as if you're offering Jack as a sacrifice to the Rocky god. Ha!

About Me

My photo
We are a military family. We like to run, play games, travel, eat pizza, and watch movies.