Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

I was walking through the hospital there other day and someone handed me a card. Here is what it said:

"Dear Military Family Member,
I want to thank you for the sacrifice you have made to preserve our nation's freedom.
Your long nights, lonely days, times of fear, hours of worry and seasons of stress are not unnoticed by those of us who enjoy freedom.
Thank You."

Dave was at Fort Campbell for 5 years. This card perfectly articulates what it was like. 
Two years of being in a war zone, month long field training, lost weekends, and the feeling that at any moment there would be more to sacrifice. I completely appreciate that there is a holiday to honor those who have been through that and who are doing it now.

This is a picture of when Dave got back from his second deployment. It reminds me the amazing feeling of being reunited and that the worrying is over.

I feel so very lucky at the moment. There are people who have to give up so much more than we ever did. People who are on deployment number three, missed big moments in their kids lives or their birth, and of course there are those who give up their life. We left Fort Campbell over 4 years ago. San Antonio was like living in a bubble protected from the "real" Army. This assignment has been my dream come true. Dave gets to put on a uniform and help those who serve, but we have not been sacrificing at all.

My grandfather, father, and husband were all veterans who gave up part of their lives to serve. Veterans Day really has a lot of meaning to me, and I'm thankful we get a day off in honor of their sacrifice.

3 comments:

A said...

Well said, Amy. I know you are counting your many blessings. God bless Dave and his fellow veterans, today and always.

The Red Humor said...

I feel the same way. I can't imaging how hard it would have been to be away from Dave for that long and now that I have a child I my heart goes out even more to all those families that have to spend years apart. Such an incredible sacrifice.

Danielle said...

Amy this made me cry. Thank you for your service and give Dave a big hug for me. You two are amazing with your not-so-little-anymore family. I can't WAIT to see you and meet the boys. We must plan more than one get together. Abigail and I are home all the time and very available!

About Me

My photo
We are a military family. We like to run, play games, travel, eat pizza, and watch movies.